MUDR. MICHAL CIERNY CSC Phd
Dr Cierny is one of the most experienced surgeons specializing in laparoscopic and minimally invasive surgery, bariatric surgery, especially (or “surgical treatment of obesity”, “metabolic surgery”). With more than 1500 procedures performed, he is truly one of the most experienced surgeons in this field in the country.
Dr Cierny specializes in RNY bypass and MGB and MGB is his preferred procedure.
1978 – 1984 Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, Bratislava, general medicine
1987 Language school in Bratislava – general language exam in English
1988 Surgical attestation I.
1993 Surgical attestation II. – final specialisation in general surgery
1997 Candidate of Sciences – CSc, corresponding to PhD title, in Bratislava
IX.1984 – VII.1993 Dérer Hospital, Kramáre – Bratislava, Surgical Clinic at Postgradual Medical University Institute
VIII. 1993 – V.2007 Trauma Hospital in Brno, Ponávka 6, Brno 662 50
VI. 2007 – X.2009 Head of „BMI Surgery Ltd“, Viniční 235, Brno 615 00
XI.2009 – now Hospital Břeclav, U nemocnice 1, Břeclav 690 74
MINIMAL INVASIVE SURGERY TRAINING:
I.-III. 1992 Israel, Asaf Harofeh Medical Center, Tel Aviv – Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
VII. – VIII. 1992 USA – Cleveland Clinic, Ohio – Colorectal Surgery (Dr. Victor Fazio)
VIII.- IX. 1992 USA – Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland – Pancreatobiliary and Laparoscopic Surgery (Dr. J Cameron)
IX. 1996 Singapore, Center of Miniinvasive Surgery, University of Singapore – Laparoscopic Surgery (Prof. Peter Goh)
BARIATRIC SURGERY WORKSHOPS:
Laparoscopic gastric band (2001 – Prague,CZ, 2003 – Hamburg, Germany, 2003 – Linz, Austria, 2005 – Jablonec n.Nisou, CZ), Laparoscopic Roux Y gastric bypass (2005 – Prague, CZ, 2006 – Antwerpen, Belgium, 2007 – Brno, CZ, 2008 – Ostrava,CZ, 2010 – Kaunas Lithuania), Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (2007, Brno, CZ), Laparoscopic gastric plication (2010 – Prague, CZ), Laparoscopic mini-gastric bypass / One anastomosis gastric bypass (2011 – Břeclav,CZ, 2017– AKH Wien, Austria)
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
ČCHS – Czech Surgical Society of Jan Evangelista Purkyně
ČOS – Česká obesitologická společnost Jan Evangelista Purkyně
Bariatric Section of CCHS and COS JEP
IFSO – International Federation of Surgery of Obesity
EAES – European Assotiation of Endoscopic Surgery
ELSA – Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia
1994 – 1997, Grant IGA at Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic No. 2003-3, Use of laparoscopy in trauma and acute abdomen, principal investigator.
SELECTED LIST of PUBLICATIONS:
Čierny M, Kozumplík L, Macků L, Ochmann J, Vrastyák J: Laparoscopic inguinal hernioplasty – results in the initial serie two years postoperatively. Rozh.Chir., 1997, vol. 76, No. 6, pp. 297-301
Čierny M, Ochmann J, Vrastyak J, Kozumplík L, Macků L, Zelníček P .: Laparoscopy in abdominal injuries. Rozhl.Chir., 1998, vol. 77, No. 8, pp. 343-349
Čierny M, Ochmann J, Vrastyak J, Zelnicek P .: The contribution of laparoscopy in abdominal injuries. Miniinvazivní terapie, 1998, vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 92-96
Čierny M: Bariatric Surgery, in Brychta Pavel et Stanek Jan: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and Corrective dermatology, Grada Publishing, 2014, 329 pp.
Čierny M .: Careful patient selection for bariatric surgery leading to superior results, in Kvapil Milan: Diabetologie 2016, Triton, 2016, 292 s.
Čierny M.: Bariatric treatment in patiens with sleep apnoe, in: Betka Jaroslav et al.: Breathing disorders in sleep – the surgical treatment, in press.
Čierny M, Travniček A, Uchaľ J.: Gastric bypass and its role in metabolic and bariatric surgery, Perspectives in Surgery, in press.
MAIN AUTHORS OF LECTURES AND POSTERS ABROAD /selected/:
• Laparoscopy in abdominal trauma management and suture of diaphragmatic rupture, Video discussion at Congress ISW 2005, 22.8.2005, Durban, South Africa
• Quality of life assessment by WHO QoL-BREF in patients after adjustable gastric banding for morbid obesity, Poster discussion, ISW 2005, 22.8.2005, Durban, South Africa
• Comparison of weight loss results in 100 patients after Sleeve gastrectomy and 100 patients after gastric banding. IFSO 2009 (International Federation for Surgery of Obesity) –Paris, France
• Evaluation of initial 150 laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomies in a series peformed by one surgeon. European Chapter IFSO Meeting, Lausane, Switzerland, 2010
• Complications in a series of 550 bariatric patients operated by a single surgeon, 2011 -Hamburg International Federation for Surgery of Obesity, Germany
• Influence of bariatric surgery on the development of type 2 diabetes, Obesitological Congress,, 2010, Nitra, Slovakia
• Gastric Plication versus Gastric Sleeve – a single center short-term comparison. IFSO World Congress 2013, Istanbul, Turkey
• Effect of bariatric surgery on sleep apnea syndrome, Congress of Sleep Medicine, Nitra, 2016, Slovakia
• Surgical treatment of T2 diabetes, European IFSO Congress, 2016, Gottebortg, Sweden
● Bariatric surgery decreases of extracellular RNA in plasma, Czech national congreas on Obesitology and bariatric surgery , 2016 Tábor, Czech Republic
• Selection of the patient and selection of the procedure in bariatric surgery, Czech national congreas on Obesitology and bariatric surgery , 2017 Mikulov, Czech Republic
Gastric bypasses in bariatric surgery, Congress of Czech and Slovak Gastroenterology, 2017, Bratislava, Slovakia
Dr Cierny experience and complications until end of December 2017
Total No of bariatric procedures since 2003 – till 31.12.2017 (in my previous hospitals in Brno + in Břeclav Hospital) : cca 1500
432 clients/1500 were from UK and USA
Gastric Band: 294 (within years 2003 – 2011)
Sleeve gastrectomy: 440 – Average EWL 61%
Gastric plication: 443 – Average EWL 43%
Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB): 93 – Average EWL 62%
Mini/One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass (MGB/OAGB): 184 – Average EWL 55%
Bleeding with need of blood transfusion: 4 patients after Gastric bypasses (from nearly 300 RYGB and MGB/OAGB patients so far).
Leak: 0, Internal hernia or ileus: 0, Conversion: 1 for bleeding from splenic vessels during a reoperation after failure of Sleeve (performed elsewhere) in superobese patient. The final solution was done 1 year later. 0 deaths resulting from bariatric surgery.
Dr Cierny pictured with Dr Ruttledge the inventor of the Mini Gastric Bypass who visited from USA to conduct a workshop in Břeclav Hospital in 2011. Since this workshop and training, the MGB/OAGB has been used more frequently, achieving the best results, especially in diabetic patients.
Dr C is a very professional and skilled surgeon. I felt like I was in safe hands for my entire hospital visit. In addition to the multitude of tests they do pre-op, to make sure you’re healthy enough for surgery, they explain everything thoroughly. I had no complications afterwards and was happy with the tool I had been given. I would recommend either Dr C or Dr H to anyone who is thinking of getting wls. Their cv and reviews from patients speak volumes about how knowledgeable and professional they both are in this area of surgery. I had a revision surgery with Dr H, to help fix a reflux problem. He is very kind and has an excellent bedside manner. I have had no complications from my surgery with him either. I’m happy with my decision and would make the same choice 100 times over. With either surgeon, you will be in safe and professional hands, who have performed this surgery thousands of times.Lynn